Saturday, June 21, 2008

Magic Word

Yesterday morning after dropping my son off at summer school, (school starts at 7:30am) my daughter Rebekah asked if we could stay home today and watch movies. It seems like most of the day we are driving from place to place getting errands done. So I told her alright. She fell back to sleep on my bed for a couple of hours, allowing me to get some things done, and shower.
When she woke I told her come on lets get ready to go, she replied, "Mom, you said that we could just stay home and watch movies today, where are we going?" I said, "We're going to Costco with Grammy." Rebekah- " I'm up!" It seems like those are magic words in this family. Whether it is Lets go to Grammy's house, or we're going shopping with Grammy. The kids always get excited to be with Grammy. She is like their own Fairy Godmother or something. Grammy caters to their every need, or desire. She always listens to them, and what they've done with great enthusiasm. She shows extreme patience and love towards them, and always makes them feel extra special. That is just one reason she is my mentor.

3 comments:

Tim Scarbrough said...

Wow Precious... another excellent blog entry! I enjoyed the laugh last night when you told me the story.

Unknown said...

It's great from the Nana (Grammy) end too, now that I'm not the main person responsible for the discipline, etc. like when it was my child, it's so much easier, and wonderful, to listen more, talk more, be silly with them, and just dote on them. I think I'm catching more "nuances" with being a "grand"mom than being a "mom" because I'm less busy mothering, and more able to just drink it in. God's reward for mothering, like a second chance to catch the things you missed the first time around. (Not that I didn't enjoy motherhood, I loved it and still miss it at times.)

Joel and Leslie said...

Everyone needs a grammy. I love that Zach has grandparents who live close to him.